Nut Balls / Russian Tea Cakes
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- additional powdered sugar, 1 to 1 1/2 cups, for coating
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Beat margarine, butter, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer until combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-9 minutes, until very lightly golden and set.
- Remove from cookie sheets and cool 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack. While still warm, but cool enough to touch, coat in additional powdered sugar. You can do this by placing sugar in a pie pan and rolling cookies. Or place sugar in a paper or plastic bag and carefully add 4 or 5 cookies, shaking very gently. Gently shake off excess powdered sugar and return to cooling rack. Once completely cooled, coat again in powdered sugar.
- You can use all butter or all margarine, but we prefer the texture of half and half. If you don't like almond extract, you can substitute vanilla.
The Archaeologist Bakes http://www.thearchaeologistbakes.com/